A Champion is someone who sets up a Community Collection Point, so others can easily recycle their waste cooking oil. It's easy
Be a leaderSet up your own cooking oil collection point in your community
No convenient place to drop off the waste cooking oil for recycling? You’re probably not the only one in this position, so why not set up a Community Collection Point. It’s easy and your community organisation can win a cash prize if it recycles the most used cooking oil. Proper Oils is rewarding the top recycling sites with a cash prize of £500, £250, and £100, to the most successful recycling points. Find out more here
Find a location
The best place is somewhere convenient and easy for people to drop off their waste cooking oil. It must be a secure place which is large enough for a small barrel (50cm diameter) to be stored. It could be a school, your place of work, or even a library. Get the owner’s or landlord’s permission to host a community recycling point, and then Get Set…
Contact Proper Oils for your community collection pack by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0208 891 0829. The pack includes:
- Community collection container. It looks like this [picture of barrel in situ].
- Pack of lids for peoples own recycling tins
- Flyers to distribute to people who may be interested in recycling
Tell people about the community collection point.
- Distribute the flyers to potential recyclers
- Tell your friends, neighbours, colleagues
- Shout about it using Facebook / Google +t / Twitter
- Print off a letter or publish some info in a newsletter. We’ve produced some words for you to use / edit here . . . . [extract needs producing]
- Print off posters to display around the collection point container [posters]
Find others to help you
Get other groups involved to volunteer to spread the word about your collection point. For example, talk to your local Scout, Brownie or Duke of Edinburgh groups, or older members of the community who may have more free time, to help spread the word to get more households recycling their cooking oils through your own community collection point
Set up complete
Told you it was easy, and the environmental benefits for your community and the wider environment are enormous. More cash prizes competitions coming soon. In summer we will announce two more competitions with cash prizes:· One for the best advertised / decorated collection point area and one for the best tin wrapper – so you can make your cooking oil recycling tin look fantastic. Please remember to send us your feedback, comments, or a testimonial to encourage others to get involved in recycling.